This blog is a revised and updated version of a previously published blog.
As a leader/owner of a company, having a clear and focused vision is crucial for success. Your vision sets the tone for the fiscal year, projects, growth, and even employee morale. It's not enough to simply have a vision statement; you must incorporate your vision into every aspect of your company. Here are some helpful tips to instantly improve your vision and make it an integral part of your organization:
1. Define Your Vision:
* Start by answering the question: Why did you start this business?
* Clearly articulate your why and state it as your vision.
* For example, your vision could be to make small businesses lean and empower them to outperform larger competitors.
2. Develop Your Mission:
* Your mission statement represents how you will accomplish your vision.
* It defines the steps you'll take to achieve your why.
* For instance, your mission could be to train small businesses to build strong, cohesive teams that make quick decisions.
3. Align Decisions with Your Vision:
* Every decision you make should be guided by your vision and mission.
* Ask yourself, "Does this decision support our ultimate goal?"
* By keeping your vision in mind, you ensure that you're moving in the right direction.
4. Engage Your Staff:
* It's crucial to have a team that understands and embraces your vision.
* During the hiring process, make your vision a part of your interviews to attract like-minded individuals.
* If you already have a team in place, discuss your vision with them and guide them towards it.
* Be mindful of toxic individuals who don't align with your vision and consider removing them from your team.
5. Assess and Strengthen Your Vision:
* Regularly reassess the relevance of your vision and mission.
* Hold quarterly meetings to evaluate their effectiveness and make necessary adjustments.
* Make sure all tasks and operations reflect your vision and mission.
* Consider having an external organization assess your operations to provide an unbiased viewpoint.
Remember, your vision and mission are fluid statements that may evolve over time. Stay true to your why and how, and don't hesitate to make changes as your company grows. By following these tips, you'll have a focused and active vision that drives your organization towards success.